Wednesday, June 24, 2020

3650 Days




what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Today was my 10th cancer-versary. It has been 10 years since my phone rang and the voice on the other end confirmed what I had already known in my bones. I am not sure how I feel about the past ten years. I didn't know it was my cancer-versary until my mom mentioned it, it would have just been another day...I also don't know how I feel about that. For this, my 10th cancer-versary, I thought it appropriate to share my first blog post, a post I wrote ten years ago to the day. Before I copy and paste that I want to thank you all for the many forms of support I have received over the past ten years. I am absolutely certain I would not be celebrating a ten year cancer-versary if it wasn't for all that I have been given in terms of support, love, prayer, positive juju, time, generosity, you-name-it.  It takes a village to do many things in this world and surviving is one of them. Thank you.


"Today is the day.
Today is the day I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma. I found a lump in my right breast about a week ago. Prior to finding the lump I had some nipple changes, it was flaky and red for a few months. I thought maybe it was a change in laundry detergent, or because I stopped birth control pills, I never thought that those type of breast changes meant anything......boy was I wrong. I went to my primary doc and she agreed that there was a lump and referred me to ultrasound. On Monday I had three ultrasounds, two mammograms and a double biopsy. Women, who were around my mothers age, kept commenting on how young I was, and that it was good I didn't have children.......

So today I get the first round of results. What it means is that I have breast cancer in my right breast, that has spread to my lymph nodes. They are doing more tests to determine the stage, etc... I have a consult with a surgeon on Monday, until then I wait. I am a planner and like to know what can/will/should happen--so I stopped by Borders on my way home today and bought books for myself and one for my unbelievably supportive, caring and absolutely perfect husband*--without him I don't know if I would be sitting here typing on the day I find out I have breast cancer. He is my rock, and as strong and loud that I am, he keeps me steady and in control--he encourages me and knows I like to talk and tell people what is going on--so here is my blog...

Welcome to my journey."

*At the time I did have a supportive husband, but we all know how that turned out

No comments:

Post a Comment