Wednesday, June 23, 2010

today is the day

Today is the day I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma. I found a lump in my right breast about a week ago. Prior to finding the lump I had some nipple changes, it was flakey and red for a few months. I thought maybe it was a change in laundry detergent, or because I stopped birth control pills, I never thought that those type of breast changes meant anything......boy was I wrong. I went to my primary doc and she agreed that there was a lump and refered me to ultrasound. On Monday I had three ultrasounds, two mamograms and a double biopsy. Women, who were around my mothers age, kept commenting on how young I was, and that it was good I didn't have children.......

So today I get the first round of results. What it means is that I have breast cancer in my right breast, that has spread to my lymph nodes. They are doing more tests to determine the stage, etc... I have a consult with a surgeon on Monday, until then I wait. I am a planner and like to know what can/will/should happen--so I stopped by Borders on my way home today and bought books for myself and one for my unbelieveably supportive, caring and absolutely perfect husband--without him I don't know if I would be sitting here typing on the day I find out I have breast cancer. He is my rock, and as strong and loud that I am, he keeps me steady and in control--he encourages me and knows I like to talk and tell people what is going on--so here is my blog...

Welcome to my journey.

10 comments:

  1. I will keep positive thoughts headed your way.
    <3 You are a very strong woman and have a great husband, family, and friends and we will be with you every step of this journey. You are one of several young women that I am friends with who has had a cancer diagnosis of one type or another, it is alarming how these diagnoses are occurring at our ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dori, It's Gigi.
    I am sorry to hear this. I want to support you in any way that I can. Please let me know if there is anything, ever that I can do to help. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the positive thoughts in the world sent your way, Dori. I can't imagine being in your shoes, but I am so glad that you have such a wonderful support group in scott, your family and friends. Let Rob and I know if there is anything we can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every step of the way...I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Dori I really didn't think your post was for real. I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer. I will be praying for you for sure and sending positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're one of the strongest women I know Dori. You will overcome this challenge as you have others. We're here for you and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers every step of this journey. Love you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are in my thoughts during this difficult time. Stay strong and keep the fight girrrl. So glad that you have the rock walking by your side through this. Luv ya girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dori, I am so shocked to hear this news. Please know that you are in my thoughts. You are one of the strongest people I know and you are a fighter! Don't forget that. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I love you! J-Po

    ReplyDelete
  9. Damn. I want to be mad at the health world for throwing you another curve ball but I know that if anyone can overcome ANYTHING it is you. As many have said already, you are strong. You are resilient. You have been known to kick a lot of ass in your years and it looks like you aren't done yet. Please let me know if you need anything. A good book, a hand to hold, a glass (or bottle) of wine...shit, I would even make you a casserole. ~Megs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dori - I forgot that my g mail account is under Kristi Kim instead of just Kim. I should have signed my comment since it comes accross as Kristi.....I love you - Aunt Kim

    ReplyDelete